world of weird things podcast: the nerd rapture
The Singularity is the event in which humanity changes from sacks of meat to immortal AIs. It's also about as realistic as getting an admission letter to Hogwarts.
When computer scientist and sci-fi author Vernon Vinge described a fantastical world seemingly torn from the pages of cyberpunk novels and presented is as our likely future, he started a while philosophy which saw our days as flesh and blood numbered. But as the approximate date of our ascension approaches, we’re nowhere close to anything even remotely like the constant predictions of Singularitarians. We’re going to dive into exactly why they’re still waiting for the Nerd Rapture with bated breath.
Subscribe to get the latest episodes…
Articles covered or touched on in this episode…
– Michael Vassar Vs. Weird Things, Round One
– Michael Vassar Vs. Weird Things, Round Two
– Michael Vassar Vs. Weird Things, Round Three
– Kurzweil’s New Theory Of Mind: Better, Still Wrong
– Techno-utopianism Makes It To Time Magazine
– Transhumanists At H+ Vs. A Skeptical Biologist
– The Skeptic’s Guide To The Singularity
– Why We Can’t Bring You Back From The Dead With A Computer
– New Chinese App Recruits Citizens To Spy On “Deadbeat Debtors”
Related articles and further reading…
– Kurzweil Is An Influential Atheist? Really? How?
– The Tech Prophet’s Visions Get Graded By Ieee
– Ray Kurzweil’s Digital Religion
– The Subtle Love-hate Relationship With Ray Kurzweil
– Into The Quantum Computing Mesh With A New Programming Language
Intro/outro by Absolute Valentine, courtesy of Lazerdiscs Records