world of weird things podcast: the realistic hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy
Imagine for a moment if you couldn’t go much faster than 10% of the speed of light and that taking a really, really long nap in a cryogenic tank was out of the question. How do you explore what lies outside our solar system? And even more importantly, what would you do once you get to your destination, with help decades, if not centuries away, and two way communication more or less irrelevant to your continued existence? We could still travel to other stars. But we’d have to radically adjust our expectations of how those missions would go.
Subscribe to get the latest episodes…
Articles covered or touched on in this episode…
– What Does It Take To Get A Warp Drive?
– The Amazing, Possibly Viable Warp Drive
– Caution, Warp Drive May Damage Planet
– Cryonics: The Best Worst Case Scenario…
– Spaceships, Now With Black Hole Reactors?
– Why Luxury Spaceships Would Be Worth Their Price Tag
– Tau Zero And The Bis Aim For The Stars, Literally
– We Pledge Allegiance To The Independent Martian Federation?
– Why We Need To Return To The Moon And Do The Other Things
Related articles and further reading…
– How Close To A Viable Warp Drive Are We?
– Do Warp Drives Emit Tachyon Shockwaves?
– More Bad News For Warp Drive Technology
– So How Would You Claim Territory In Outer Space?
Intro/outro by Absolute Valentine, courtesy of Lazerdiscs Records