world of weird things podcast: how exploring the solar system will un-domesticate us
Earth can be our home for many millions of years to come, but at some point, we will absolutely venture away from it and start surfing the solar winds, or powering up our ion drives, to navigate the many worlds our solar system has to offer. We’ll swing around gas giants and play on their moons. We’ll build cities on the Moon and Mars. We’ll mine asteroids for all the water ice, ore, and precious metals we’ll ever need. It’s not just a fantasy. In fact, the required technology is just around the corner. We just need to make the first steps, right after we explain why we’d ever want to leave a planet on which we evolved, especially when not everyone could join us on this adventure.
Subscribe to get the latest episodes…
Articles covered or touched on in this episode…
– Why We Need To Return To The Moon And Do The Other Things
– Can We Really Colonize Space A Hundred People At A Time?
– Why We Need To Explore Space Now More Than We Ever Did Before
– When Too Much Skepticism About Space Exploration Can Be A Bad Thing
– Was Mars One The Fyre Festival Of Space Startups?
– How Not To Lose Your Sanity On An Alien Planet
– Why Luxury Spaceships Would Be Worth Their Price Tag
– Surfing The Light Fantastic: How Nanoscale Etchings Could Revolutionize Solar Sails
Related articles and further reading…
– Why The Future Is Steampunk: Steam-powered Spacecraft Could Explore Asteroids
– We Know That Green Spaces Mean Healthy Minds. Now We Need To Act On That Data.
– Americans Want To Remain Leaders In Space, But They Seldom Want To Pay For It
Intro/outro by Absolute Valentine, courtesy of Lazerdiscs Records