world of weird things podcast: keep quiet or the aliens will kill you?
Perhaps the most sinister explanation for why we haven't heard from aliens is that any civilization that reveals itself gets obliterated. But why? How? And how likely is that to happen?
According to the late Dr. Stephen Hawking and a number of other thinkers, one of the reasons why we can’t seem to detect a signal from an alien society is because marauding species are on a mission to destroy any advanced life in a quest to eliminate any possible competitors for cosmic resources and potential enemies before they have the technology and weapons to defeat them. But given the vastness of space, the abundance of resources in it, and the rarity of spacefaring intelligent life, does this idea actually make sense?
Subscribe to get the latest episodes…
Articles covered or touched on in this episode…
– didn’t anyone ever tell you not to talk to aliens?
– why aliens wouldn’t want us or our gold
– but if the big, bad aliens really do invade…
– who’s afraid of the big, bad alien invaders?
– going on an alien safari?
– greetings, we are here to convert you?
– the fermi paradox, or, are we being ghosted by aliens?
Intro/outro by Absolute Valentine, courtesy of Lazerdiscs Records